• From the book...

I can't afford to let myself feel good, to let my guard down, to think for a single moment that I belong.

Because I don't.

About...

Welcome to the Fanboy and Goth Girl web site! Browse the site for information about the book, an excerpt, VidLit link, images, and more.

You'll also get a chance to meet the main characters from the book through their blogs and letters.

Did Someone Say “Sequel?”

Seems like a lot of people who’ve read The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl want a sequel to that book. I get a LOT of e-mails about that, and whenever I speak to fans or sign books, I always get asked that question at least once.

Sometimes it’s phrased like this: “Are you going to write a sequel to Fanboy and Goth Girl?”

That gives me the option of saying, “Yes,” “No,” or “Maybe.”

And sometimes it’s phrased like this: “When will there be a sequel?”

That assumes that there WILL be a sequel! And for a long time there, I wasn’t sure there would be one, so that made it doubly difficult to disappoint people who had just assumed there would be a second book.

Well, anyway, I can answer both questions now:

1. Yes.
2. Fall 2009.

The book will be titled Goth Girl Rising.* It takes place six months after the end of the first book, so roughly halfway through Fanboy and Goth Girl’s junior year at South Brook High. (Yes, this also means it takes place BEFORE Boy Toy and Hero-Type.)

The book is written from Kyra’s point of view. If you’ve ever wondered what goes through her head…you’re gonna find out. Oh, boy, are you gonna find out!

All I’ll say about it at this point is that it probably isn’t what you expected. I resisted writing a sequel for a while, but eventually I just had to tell this story.

It’s WAY too early to give out more information than that. Please don’t e-mail me with questions because I won’t answer ‘em. As soon as I have the cover, I’ll show it to you. Look for a sample chapter to go up on the site sometime in the spring.

For those of you who are disappointed that you have to wait so long to read the book… Hey, I just had a book come out a month ago — Hero-Type — and my publisher can only work so fast! So enjoy Hero-Type and go enjoy the short stories I have coming out in anthologies this year and next year…and Fall 2009 will be here before you know it.

* Some of you may have heard me talk about a possible sequel in the past, calling it Fanboy vs. Goth Girl. What can I say: I changed my mind. Trust me, this new title makes much more sense.

65 Responses to “Did Someone Say “Sequel?””

1. Violet says:

So very giddy. Thank you, Mr. Lyga!

2. The Claire says:

CAN I GET A “HEEEELLLL YEAAAHHHHH!!!”

???

3. Jonathan says:

“Hellllll yeah!”

There you go! Haha. And this is awesome. I so cannot wait. And more short stories? Even better! Thank you Mr. Lyga again!

4. chelsea says:

WOW! Just wow l can’t possibly wait for it to come out l just read BOY TOY and Fandboy and Goth girl. l just have to read Hero Type next 😛 🙂

5. Nicky says:

O.M.G I can’t wait for the next book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tay-tay says:

loveit and wanna read the next one

7. Tory says:

I cannot wait! i love fanboy and goth girl!!

8. James0mercury says:

I love u Mr Lyga, no homo. lol. ur my favorite author!!

9. hiro dreikaina says:

Good. I was looking forward to this. Thank you kind writer.

10. Queen Forever says:

SEQUAL!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!!!

Thanks again..

11. Queen Forever says:

SEQUAL!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!!!

Thanks again..

12. Queen Forever says:

SEQUAL!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!!!

Thanks again..♠♣♠♣♠♣♠

13. Queen Forever says:

SEQUAL!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!!!

Thanks again..♠♣♠♣♠♣♠

14. Queen Forever says:

SEQUAL!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!!!

Thanks again..♠♣♠♣♠♣♠

15. Queen Forever says:

SEQUAL!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!!!

Thanks again..♠♣♠♣♠♣♠

16. uber says:

17. uber says:

18. uber says:

I just finished Fanboy and Goth girl less than 5 minuets ago. It was the best book I have read in a ling while and this is coming from someone who reads non-stop. I read it in under a day. About 2hours would be more precise. I am glad to hear about the sequel and can not wait.

19. Kelvin says:

I am like uber. I just finished Fanboy and Goth Girl and it was simply the greatest book in the world!!! I love the way you… ugh the way you did EVERYTHING! But while I was reading your book it sounded like you were trying to drop hints that there will be a sequel. (Fanboy and Goth Girl is gonna be hard to top!!!!!)

20. Artemis says:

What a coincidence.

Just as I was about to write to you and ask about a sequel, you announce that there will be one.

And just so you know, Mr. Lyga, I entirely blame you (And certain friends of mine) for making me like comic books.

My friends and I will be waiting, thank you very much.

My parents thank you too, after all, they own a book store.

21. Zanny says:

*dramatic gasp*

Mr. Barry Lyga, you just made my week.

22. evin says:

HELL YEAH!!!!!! AND IN KYRA’S POINT OF VIEW TOO!!

23. Talula says:

WOOT! ^^ I just finished this book and was dying to read the next.. can’t wait!! ^^

24. Talula says:

25. kieran says:

so cool not even finished yet but i love it at part where hes back from comic convention looking for his bullet it is super funny when kyra was going to ram the mini van jokes lol

26. kieran says:

27. TDA says:

Where do i find Lyga’s books in S’pore???

28. Lindsey says:

Thank you so much!! You hvae no idea how happy you just made me. Kyra is like, my literature second half and I’m so excited to get in her head!!! Thank you!!

29. cj says:

hey thanks for confirming the sequeal i look forward to reading it.

30. Katie says:

OMG i have already read FB+GG and boy toy and i just started hero type your books are the best!!!!! After i read the rising of GG i am going to have to read them all again i love the fact that you incorporate the past books in your new ones…thanks!!!!

31. Dana says:

Omg, Tyhe Astonishing Adventures Of Fanboy And Goth Girl is my all-time favourite book. I re read it every day and I practically have it memeorized. The day I got it I actually just picked it up randomly and thought it looked cool, I didn’t think I would like it this much! When I started reading it I couldn’t keep my eyes off of it! My mom had to lock it away from me so i would stop reading it and actually live my life. I can’t wait for the sequel or the movie. My dream was to star as Kyra in the movie when i was older but unfortunatly it’s not gonna happen. That depresses me. If only i was a older, famous actress. I love acting and I could sooo grsp the past of Kyra in like a really small time. Anyways, I loved the book and can’t wait to read more!

32. Dana says:

Omg, The Astonishing Adventures Of Fanboy And Goth Girl is my all-time favourite book. I re read it every day and I practically have it memeorized. The day I got it I actually just picked it up randomly and thought it looked cool, I didn’t think I would like it this much! When I started reading it I couldn’t keep my eyes off of it! My mom had to lock it away from me so i would stop reading it and actually live my life. I can’t wait for the sequel or the movie. My dream was to star as Kyra in the movie when i was older but unfortunatly it’s not gonna happen. That depresses me. If only i was a older, famous actress. I love acting and I could sooo grsp the past of Kyra in like a really small time. Anyways, I loved the book and can’t wait to read more!

33. Danny says:

sweet i was hoping for one im reading fanboy and goth girl for the second time now

34. Dana says:

Hey, again. I think in the sequal you should add some of Kyras ‘shitty’ poems. They are actually pretty good. They inspired me to write some of my own and they turned out pretty good. Can’t wait!

35. Erika says:

OMG SO HAPPY I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i read fanboy and gothgirl in one day THANKS MR LYGA

36. Erika says:

37. Kelly Verke says:

At my high school, I am known to be the girl with her nose in a book constantly. And after reading this book, I can honestly say that it is THE BEST book I have read, and I have my calender marked until the next one comes out, I am SO SO excited I can’t even think about having to wait until fall, It’s killing me to know what Kyra thinks, and If she (fingers crossed) ends up with Fan boy or not.
    Thanks for the book I have read the most times of all.

38. Domingo says:

I have one thing to say to that. YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I had just picked up the book because it had a cool and interesting name. thrught out the hole I was think that this was the best book ever. So now I hear this, I know I will go crazy wayting.

39. Dana says:

Please please please please release this sequal as SOON as possible!! I cant wait to read it!! AHH

40. Moni says:

^_^ so happy! Thanx for the sequel. it makes me really happy!

41. Eva says:

yayayayaya :D!!

fanboy and goth girl’s adventures continue!!!

42. Eva says:

yayayayaya :D!!

fanboy and goth girl’s adventures continue!!!

43. Shalene says:

Wow, this is awesome.
    As soon as I finished the book my thoughts were “Wow…” and “Their better be a sequel”. Your characters were very believable and easy to relate too, that makes your book even more amazing.

I am so completely stoked.

44. The OTher Goth Girl says:

I praise your style of writing and I know that the sequel will be as great as the first. I loved the first because Goth Girl reminds me of so many of my friends and also of myself. And Fanboy reminds me of my friends too(although my friends and I like MANGA, not regular comics..either way, they are both ‘GRAPHIC NOVELS’). I can’t wait to see what goes through Kyra’s mind.

45. ScottyQuick says:

Hurray! I really loved Kyra. Glad to see she’ll be back 🙂

46. Kemily12 says:

I just read this book and i can’t wait for the next one.

47. gothgirlfan says:

omg i love this book i wish there was another one right now because i need to write my english paper on it

| Newer Comments »