• From the book...

That's one story that wouldn't go over well. Anything that starts with "I met her on the internet" is just a bad idea.

About...

Welcome to the Fanboy and Goth Girl web site! Browse the site for information about the book, an excerpt, VidLit link, images, and more.

You'll also get a chance to meet the main characters from the book through their blogs and letters.

Want to Read GOTH GIRL RISING before anyone else?

So, a Goth Girl Rising ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) has come into my possession. I’ve had it for about a month because while I want to give it away to a reader, I haven’t been sure of the fairest way to do so.

I didn’t want to do something entirely random because, well, that’s just no fun. Not for you guys and certainly not for me.

But I also didn’t want to make people jump through too many hoops because then it would be difficult for people who really would like the book to have a shot at it.

Then, last night, it occurred to me: The perfect way to give this thing away.

Tell me your favorite Kyra quote from The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl.

That’s all you have to do! Put it in the comments here or on Facebook or just toss it into Twitter with #ggr-arc in there somewhere. I will choose one entrant pretty much at random to receive the ARC.

Now, if you need time to refresh your memory, this contest will go until July 31, so you have plenty of time to flip through the book or go grab a copy from the library.

In the meantime, while we're waiting for July 31, I will randomly select from people who enter and send them some signed books, too. So the earlier you enter, the better chance you’ve got of getting something.

That’s it! Have fun!

58 Responses to “Want to Read GOTH GIRL RISING before anyone else?”

1. Liberty Lawson says:

“…Tough Titty…”

Got me laughing in the middle of class during a test. Thanks. Ha ha.

2. Dana Magee says:

WOAH! Sweet deal, even though I totally knew about this like 12 hours ago. But whatever.

Way to be Liberty. Tough Titty all the way! I actually said it to my mom once and she gave me a weird stare.. Cant wait for GGR <3

“Why do you let him hit you?”
    ^^Child Abuse right there!! :O ^^

3. Sarah McMillion says:

“Other people are just… there.
    If they aren’t helping, they’re just in the way. Weave around them, knock them over, do whatever you have to, but get past them.” -Kyra

This quote really speaks to me, and it is so true when you think about it.

4. “Don’t interrupt me. But, yeah.”

(-in reference to the Great Ecuadorian Tortoise Blight of 1928…)

^_^

5. Bubbowrap says:

Just ONE quote? That’s totally unfair.

My favorite quote would have to be:

“But I was just sick of him and his shit, so I told him that if he bothered me again, I was going to tell the police that he molested me.”

After reading that, I stopped in shock. I actually had to read the sentence over again. Then, I laughed. Like Fanboy said, Kyra’s hardcore.

6. Karen says:

“So I got up,but before I left I untucked my shirt and I undid a couple of buttons and I sniffled a little bit when I walked past the secretary’s desk”

I started laughing like crazy when I read that part. My cheeks turned red and I couldn’t breathe .

7. Chris Ang says:

“What does it take? Does it take this?!”

I just can’t se how anyone could do that to Bryan Michael Bendis…..BENDIS! Lucky bastard..heheh

8. Naomi says:

“There are three things in this world that I want more then anything. I’ve told you the first two, but I’ll never you the third.- Fanboy

I love this quote, it leaves you guessing and begging for more , I felt like I was in on some big secret …All He wants is Kyra

9. Fate Fortuna says:

“Like he’d be a friggin’ assistant principal in the middle of nowhere if he mattered AT ALL.”

SO true!

10. KC says:

“Yeah. Promethea. Got a problem with it, fanboy?”

As I recall, this is the first time the name Fanboy is mentioned.

11. Tesa Moo says:

“Other people are just… there. If they aren’t helping, they’re just in the way. Weave around them, knock them over, do whatever you have to, but get past them.”

i know someone else said that already. but its an awesome quote. i dont have the book in my posession at the moment, so thats the best i remember.

the thing about the quote i picked is that kyra believes this. she really believes it. its cold and unfeeling, pessimistic, awful. and its totally kyra. she has given up on people, pushed herself away. they saved her from killing herself, but that doesnt mean she wants to live. i felt like kyra was just pissing people off in her spare time while she waited for another chance to die. nobody mattered to her.

its deluded and terrible, depressing, irrational. very kyra.

12. Adrienne says:

I love Kyra’s sarcasm in the book. She’s brutally honest, and I like a lot of the stuff she says. This one I came across and liked, she’s talking about how girls are shallow and how Cal isn’t like the “hot” guys:
    “But they don’t get it. That’s all the chrysalis. That’s what you go through before you become the butterfly. Guys like you are the ones to watch for.”

13. skye says:

haven’t you learned by now that the more u tell me something is nothing the more i want to know what it is?

14. Jonna says:

best kyra quote, hands down.
    “Yeah, good ol’ adenocarcinoma,” she says sarcastically. “It’s the up-and-coming thing in lung cancer these days. I mean, it use to be that squamous cell lung cancer was the big one, but these days, if you want to get lung cancer in the U.S., you go with adenocarcinoma. That’s the one all the cool kids are getting.”

15. Dale says:

in case I goofed up when I posted this on twitter (yes… I want the ARC)…

“…Did the Fantastic Four explain it to you? Did Spider-man help you come to that conclusion?”

16. Fred says:

Honestly, I love everything Kyra says. But what really gets me has to be when she and Donnie first meet at the playground. She talks to him and tells him she took pictures of him when he was playing Dodgeball. Getting hit, but taking it quietly. When she said

“I figured I’d take a picture of it. Keep it to prove to myself that not everyone at that place is a Neanderthal”

Kyra hates everyone, but seeing that shows me that she’s willing to give someone a chance. It’s like a combination of finding someone worth talking to,and learning how to care about someone.

DonnieXKyra
    4EVER

17. “… Maybe that’s the wrong way to put it, but you were almost noble, you know?”

18. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

“People are stupid. People suck. Period.”

19. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

“Tough titty.”

20. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

“I didn’t know you were an artist. What did you draw? Spider-Man? Please tell me it’s not Spider-Man.”

21. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

“Lover’s quarrel?”

22. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

“Other people are just… there. If they aren’t helping, they’re just in the way. Weave around the, knock them over, do whatever you have to, but get past them.”

23. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

“Look! Its Kyra’s tits! They’re blocking out the sun!”

24. Matthew Vega says:

Kyra Quote.

25. Matthew Vega says:

“…Maybe that’s wrong way to put it,but you were almost noble, you know?”

26. Matthew Vega says:

I just love the whole Book.

“It’s my sisters car, and she’s in the hospital right now so I can use it whenever I want.”

27. John Hill says:

Welcome to the real world, fanboy”

28. Matthew Vega says:

“Yes you would. You would. Because she’s perfect. She’s perfect and I’m broken. Just a broken piece of –” … “Broken…”

29. Matthew Vega says:

“It’s like I said before. People suck. Period. They’re stupid and clueless and when you tell them that they’re stupid and clueless, they just get pissed off because they know it’s the truth and they can’t be bothered to change it.”

30. Matthew Vega says:

“I figured I’d take a picture of it. Keep it to prove to myself that not everyone at that place is a Neanderthal.”

31. Matthew Vega says:

“You think Tinkerbell comes back? Do you think Jean Grey comes back as Phoenix? You think any of that stupid shit they’ve been cramming in your head since you could sit up straight is true? Do you?”

32. Matthew Vega says:

“If you have the balls to tell them to shove it, they crumble. Easy.”

33. Matthew Vega says:

This is HANDS DOWN my FAVORITE quote out of all the quotes I like.

“You want to kiss me, don’t you? I can tell. You want to kiss me, but you’re not allowed”

34. Matthew Vega says:

“I’m not here for you, dumb-ass. I’m here for that. I’m here because it’s better than you.”

35. Matthew Vega says:

“You get… you get like ninety-nine percent of it. I never knew a guy who… it just drives me friggin’ crazy that you don’t get the last one percent.”

36. Matthew Vega says:

“My sister’s a freakin’ pharmacy on spiked heels ever since she lost the kid.”

37. Matthew Vega says:

“God, you’re so wrapped up in your own pathetic little fantasies that you can’t even see what’s going on in front of your face! This is a terrific graphic novel, but it has a problem and I’m trying to help you fix it! Do you understand that?”

38. Matthew Vega says:

“You still don’t get it. Fine. I don’t give a shit. I’m not here for you, dumbass. I’m here for that. I’m here because it’s better than you. And I can’t believe that asshole doesn’t get it.”

39. Matthew Vega says:

“So what could have been a little bit of unspoiled nature in the middle of the more stupid cookie-cutter houses, they made a dumb-ass swamp and fenced it in so the dumb-ass kids they all bred won’t accidentally fall in. People are stupid. People suck. Period.”

40. Matthew Vega says:

“God, what is with you? Can’t you get it? I thought you were different, but your not […] What the hell is it? What do you want from me? You want me to stop hiding my tits? You want me to wear tight sweaters so you can check ’em out? You want me to be normal? Is that what you want? […] You want me to jerk off so you can think of Dina while I do it? […] Yes, you would. You would. Because she’s perfect. She’s perfect and I’m broken. Just a broken piece of- Broken… […] You want to kiss me, don’t you? I can tell. You want to kiss me, but you’re not allowed[…] Go away […] I don’t need your help, Fanboy […] bite me, here. You think crying solves anything? I cried and my dad cried and we all cried when my mom died, and you think it solved anything at all? You think tinkerbell comes back? You think Jean Grey comes back as Phoenix? You think any of that stupid shit they’ve been cramming in your head since you could sit up straight is true? Do you? Welcome to the real world, Fanboy”

41. Sally Hepler says:

“Come on, fanboy. Tell me. Tell me how to get my own pack of drooling idiot-boys”

-Kyra

42. Reagan says:

“And look. No one could be bothered. They drained it, the imaginary mosquito problem went away, and they couldn’t be bothered to do anything else. So what could have been a little bit of unspoiled nature in the middle of more stupid cookie-cutter houses, they made a dumb-ass swamp and fenced it in so the dumb-ass kids they all bred won’t accidentally fall in. People are stupid. People suck. Period.”

43. brynn says:

“tough titty”-kyra, and, “weave around them, knock them over, do what ever you have to, but get past them”-kyra.im the goth of my class so i just picked it up because it said “goth girl” in big bold letters/lips. goths!

44. brynn says:

but its so true! like you have no idea how true it is!

45. Alex says:

“damn” she whistles ,”You always carry ammo?”

46. Mike says:

“You think Jean Grey comes back as Phoenix? You think any of that stupid shit they’ve been cramming into your head since you could sit up straight is true? Do you? Welcome to the real world, Fanboy.”

That quote really struck a chord with me, because it’s almost like it both shows that Kyra tried believing all of those things she mentioned first off, and second it served as a wakeup call for me [and everyone] A call that you can’t always hope that Jean Grey comes back, or that Dr. Manhattan re-materializes, or that there’s a Deus Ex Machina moment in everyone’s life to save them, because at some point the book closes and we have to face reality. And I think that’s a reality that no one wanted to face, least of all Kyra.

47. ashley says:

their just grown up kids with more money who listen to sh!^^y music and hate every one younger than them. But kids think there in charge, too, so they get away with all kinds of crap.
    – kyra

just in case i messed up on facebook AND twitter…..

48. Matthew Vega says:

49. My favorite Kyra quote was: “Oh please! Don’t be such a prude! You’ve been checking me out every chance you get. You like to pretend you’re different, but you’re just like the rest of them.”

50. Anita says:

I can’t remember the exact quote because I listened to this via audiobook (which was awesome by the way!), but I love the entire scene when they are in his bedroom, especially when she says:

(summary) “Think about it, Fanboy, if you can push them up and make them bigger, then you can make them look smaller too!”

(hope that counts as an entry – I don’t have book to reference)

| Newer Comments »